Tuesday, May 24, 2011

First day back at work...

Overall it went better than expected. Hannah decided to back to her up-at-night ways so I got about 5 1/2 hours of sleep. But the morning routine went smoothly, Steve and I both got showers while Hannah relaxed in the swing. We did have a little drama - our nanny let us know at 6:45 that she had cut herself badly making lunch and had to go to the emergency room. I called my mother-in-law and luckily she was able to come so that Steve could go to work.

I made my train at 7:54 and there were no delays. I had a light schedule but I did run the staff meeting and a major client meeting. I pumped at 9:30, 1:00, and 4:30 and got the 3 1/2 oz Hannah drinks each time. It turned out she ate around those same times. My homemade hands-free pumping bra worked great and I was able to type e-mails and eat lunch while I pumped.

My new office is small but private. Our office manager did a great job getting it set up for me. I purchased a small refrigerator, which makes it easy to store my milk, and pump parts between sessions. I can also store my lunch right next to me! After the 4:30 session I steamed the pump parts in he microwave using a special Medela bag and set them out to dry. I'm so glad I bought a second pump so that I don't have to bring everything back and forth - just the bottles and cooler packs. (I could use bags but they are about 50 cents each, and I need six per day. I do have some stashed in the office for emergencies.)

I got home at 7:25 and even though Hannah had just eaten she was happy to nurse for a good long while after I pumped, put the milk away, went to the bathroom, and washed up. Steve heated dinner as I was starving. Hannah got some jammies and I cleaned up the bottles from the day and made new ones. My goal was bed by 9 and I went upstairs at 9:15.

Overall it felt good to be back at work. I suspect I have some tired days ahead and not every day will be a good one. I am grateful to work from home on Fridays - Hannah-time is going to be very limited during the week. I am also happy to have a long weeked ahead to recuperate!

1 comment: